Wednesday, July 4, 2012

July 4th

So, today is July 4th.  Harv and I are just chilling at home.  As usual.
I remember July 4th when I was a kid.  My Mom's extended family for years would go to Coeur d'Alene Lake for swimming and a big picnic.  If we rode with an Aunt and Uncle, we
would get there early enough for the parade.  We usually froze our tails off; but I never passed up
an opportunity to swim.
The best fireworks I ever saw were there one year when we were allowed to stay late with cousins.  We stretched out on the sand and watched the fireworks over the water.  Spectacular!  That was when they used to do it up BIG; and the show went on for quite a while.
A close second for fireworks was Spring and Summer 1974.  Spokane hosted the World's Fair; and
I was able to get a season pass for a steal because I was working a second job for the concert promoters for several weeks.  Cal was 4; and we would go downtown to the Fair almost every day/evening.  At 9:00 PM every night they put on a fireworks show.  We would watch that show going off over the river; and it was a great show every night.  It gave me goosebumps.  Wonder if Cal remembers that.
I can't remember when it was I last saw fireworks; but I remember being unimpressed.  Maybe that's my age, or maybe the shows just aren't the size they used to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment